Sunday, June 27, 2010

Is there life outside of studying for Anatomy?

"I should defintely be studying right now," is what I kept telling myself while I was perusing Facebook, but somehow, I found myself writing this LONG OVERDUE blog post.......So, what's new with me? Well, pretty much everything! I still feel like I'm on vacation, even though it has been an entire month since I moved to Charleston, SC. OT school reminds me of the reality of why I'm here, but the beach (conveniently 5 minutes from my apt) sends me into a sweet serenity! That is, until the serenity is carried away with the powerful gust of wind which also carries all my notes away with it! Thankfully, there were enough people on the beach to help me by running after my papers. Strangely, though, I get distracted while running after my papers because I begin rattling off the Anatomy terms for the movements my legs were making and the names of the muscles allowing me to sprint after my flying notes....
Anatomy has taken over my life! I have learned more in the short weeks since I began classes than I learned in an entire semester of undergrad. Here are a few signs to watch for if you worry that Anatomy has taken over your life:

1) You sleep with your Anatomy textbook
2) You try to enjoy a relaxing weekend on the lake after your first anatomy test, but while you're wakeboarding, the only thoughts running through your head are the names of the muscles which are contracting and which nerves are innervating those muscles and giving them a burning sensation.
3) You are taking a walk along the beach and almost trip over a child because the flashcards in your hand were obstructing your view.
4) You are not bothered by the putrid smell of Formaldehyde, and you are intrigued by the insides of the person who donated his/her body to further the education of human anatomy by Med students, PAs, PTs, and OTs. (thankfully, we don't do the actual dissecting; we just observe)
5) You wake up in the middle of the night shouting the different mnemonics for the names of the many nerve, artery, and vein branches running throughout our body: "Randy Travis Drinks Cold Beer!" (that was one for the brachial plexus)
6) You study EVERY free second have; not because you want to get a good grade, but because you're passionate about what you're learning.

Despite my passion for anatomy and OT, there are times when I get discouraged and doubt if I can actually make it through this class. However, God has a way of reminding me that I'm exactly where He wants me and He won't let me fail. I'm also thankful for such a patient and encouraging boyfriend! He pushes me to keep studying when I'd rather just talk to him all night. 


Speaking of.....I had all intentions of writing about my amazing experience at his graduation from the Naval Academy last month, but I think it would have been waaaaay to long. I had so much fun, and I'm so proud of his many accomplishments! Here are a few of the pictures that captured the experience. Enjoy!
James is Adam's best friend and his room mate this past year. Please pray for him as he begins SEAL training. Tory kept me sane on the many weekend road trips we took to Annapolis - driving 14 hrs round-trip to see our men for less than 24 - totally worth it! We will miss hanging out with you guys!

 
Adam received the Naval Academy Athletic Association "Top Male Athlete Award" for the class of 2010! He got an awesome sword w/his name engraved on it! So proud of him!

His brother, Mark (continuing the Meyer legacy at the Naval Academy), got the honor of being the first to salute Adam officially as an Officer!

                            
And of course, I got the honor of being the first to kiss him as an official Officer of the Navy;)


No comments: